Answered By: Jane Lewandoski Last Updated: Sep 01, 2021 Views: 8
Some Chromebook users are still experiencing issues with the "Take the Quiz" button not launching the LockDown Browser in Canvas. Spencer and I have worked on some additional troubleshooting guidance for this issue. Troubleshooting may differ depending on if the Chromebook is a Blue Water Middle College Chromebook or a personal Chromebook. I've included directions for each in the form on an initial question. The information in the bulleted items is written in a way that it can be read to students or copied and pasted into emails or chats with students to make it easier to provide assistance.
Additional Support for Troubleshooting Chromebook and LockDown Browser Issues
Initial question to help troubleshoot: Is this a personal Chromebook or a Blue Water Middle College Chromebook?
- If you have a personal Chromebook, make sure you are not trying to launch LockDown Browser using the old Kiosk app. That app is no longer functional. You can now download the new Chromebook extension for Lockdown Browser right from your course the first time you click on a quiz that requires LockDown Browser.
- If you are using a Blue Water Middle College Chromebook, the older Kiosk app has been removed from these Chromebooks and the LockDown Browser extension for Chromebooks has been installed. LockDown Browser will launch automatically when you click the “Take the Quiz” button in the quiz in your Canvas course.
Problem: The “Take the Quiz” button doesn’t work.
Background: If students say the take the Quiz button doesn’t work, it may be redirecting them to a screen that gives directions saying “This quiz requires LockDown Browser, please launch it” along with the link to download the extension. Typically, students have already downloaded the extension by this point.
Solution 1: Download the extension
- If you haven’t already downloaded the LockDown Browser extension on your personal Chromebook, click the link to start the download. After downloading the extension you may need to close out of the browser and reopen your browser window.
- Sometimes the Chromebook LockDown Browser extension is not always launching. Completely shut down your Chromebook and log back into your computer. Then, return to Canvas, find the quiz you need to take and click the “Take the Quiz” button again.
Additional Tips for Using Chromebook and LockDown Browser
- You can follow these installation steps to install LockDown Browser on a personal Chromebook
- Make sure you are opening the quiz from the class itself – either in the modules or the quiz link in the menu – and not by clicking on a reminder or link from the “To Do” section in Canvas.
- LockDown Browser Student Guide for Canvas (Classic Quizzes) – this is the type of quiz most frequently used in courses
- LockDown Browser Student Guide for Canvas (New Quizzes) – this quiz type is infrequently used
Contact the Library
Library main: (810) 989-5640
Toll free: (800) 553-2427 x5640
Fax: (810) 989-5773
SMS: (810) 515-7343
Are you a night owl? Reference assistance is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Click the link above to begin a chat session.