Answered By: Hayley Bommarito Last Updated: Feb 06, 2020 Views: 16
Respondus LockDown Browser is a secure browser for taking quizzes in Canvas. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment.
If a Canvas exam requires that LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the test with a standard web browser.
LockDown Browser should only be used for Canvas tests. It should not be used in other areas of Canvas.
- Students may come to the library to take a Canvas quiz that requires the LockDown Browser and/or Monitor -- no appointment necessary!
- The software is currently installed on 4 library computers and we also offer webcams for checkout if taking a quiz that requires the Monitor feature.
- If you are using your own device or taking the quiz off-campus, you will need to first install LockDown Browser. The link to download it in Canvas should look similar to the image below.
- OR - Download the Respondus Lockdown Browser here.
- You must have administrative privileges for LockDown Browser to work properly. You will not have administrator privileges on an publicly accessible computer on-campus.
- Select the Windows or Macintosh version.
- The rest of the installation process should work just like other application installation on your computer and is fairly intuitive.
- Verify LockDown Browser is working properly well in advance of the first time you will need to use it.
Taking a Canvas Exam with Respondus LockDown Browser
To start LockDown Browser:
- Close all programs, unless one is used to connect to the Internet.
- Select the LockDown Browser icon.
- A warning message may appear indicating that one or more applications must first be exited, such as an instant messaging application. The browser will offer to close the applications, choose Yes when prompted
- Upon starting LockDown Browser, it should automatically go to the login page for Canvas.
- Log into Canvas using your SC4 username and password. Select the appropriate course and then select the quiz.
- Prior to the start of the assessment, a pop-up window will ask whether the quiz requires a password. The window has a blue border at the top.(If this window does not appear, it means that you are not running Respondus LockDown Browser.)
- If your instructor , select the “Yes” option, enter the password, and click Continue. If your instructor , select the “No” option and click Continue.
- Regardless of the selection made in the previous step, LockDown Browser will automatically fill in a special password on the next screen with a set of ••••••••• characters. Do NOT edit this password field, even if the quiz does not have a password. Doing so will prevent youfrom accessing the quiz.
- Click the Submit button to start the quiz. (Note: If you attempt to use any browser other than LockDown Browser to access the quiz, the password field will appear blank and you will be unable to start the exam. If your instructor provided a quiz password, it will NOT work in this particular password field.)
- The test will then start. (Note, once the exam is started with LockDown Browser, you will be unable to exit until the Submit button is clicked.)
Using the Monitor & Webcam
**If you are using a device with a built-in webcam or taking the quiz off-campus, begin at step #4.
1. Check out a web cam from the circulation desk.The library staff will direct you to the library computers that have the Respondus software installed.
2. Plug the webcam into a USB port.
3. Follow steps #5- #9 above.
5. Go through the Webcam Check, which will confirm that your webcam and microphone are working properly. (Adobe FlashPlayer may ask you to select Allow and Remember.)
6. The remaining steps of the Startup Sequence will depend on settings chosen by your instructor. Follow the instructions and note your progress along the top of the screen.
7. The test will begin after the Startup Sequence is complete. You cannot exit LockDown Browser until the test is submitted for grading.
If you encounter a problem, select the It’s not working link for troubleshooting tips.
If you experience problems or have questions, please contact a librarian!
Contact the Library
Library main: (810) 989-5640
Toll free: (800) 553-2427 x5640
Fax: (810) 989-5773
SMS: (810) 515-7343
Are you a night owl? Reference assistance is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Click the link above to begin a chat session.