Answered By: Hayley Bommarito Last Updated: Nov 18, 2019 Views: 24
There are a couple different ways to embed videos from Films on Demand or Issues & Controversies into Canvas. This FAQ will go through both ways.
Option 1: Embedding a Films on Demand or Issues & Controversies Video Using the External Tool
1. In the Modules tab, look for the + symbol button as shown below.
2. Clicking on the + button will bring up a new window that looks like the one below. Click in the "Add" field to bring up the drop down menu and select "External Tool."
Now you may scroll through the menu of external tools.
3. Select Films on Demand or Issues & Controversies.
4. Select which database you would like to use and then enter your search terms in the search box.
5. After typing your search term and selecting which video you'd like to embed, look for the "Embed" button on the right.
6. If you select "Record URL", you may copy and paste the URL into the insert/edit media option in the Rich Text editor (described in detail in this FAQ.)
Or, if you select one of the embed options, the window will change, and show the URL at the bottom.
7. Select "Add item" to embed the video.
Note: You may need to edit the title. Films on Demand and Issues & Controversies automatically name the item after the database, so you may wish to change it to the title of the video.
For example, the video we just added ("Introduction to Information Literacy") appeared like this when I added it:
To edit a title, click on the three dots to the far right of the item's name and then select "Edit" from the drop-down menu.
Now you may change the title.
1. Start by adding a new Page to your Canvas module.
2. After adding the page, it will appear in the module you added it to. Click on it to open.
3. Look for the "Edit" option on the next screen.
4. Now you are in the Rich Content Editor. Look for the symbol as shown below.
5. After clicking on the symbol, it will open a new window, shown below. Now you may search for a video to add.
6. You may embed directly from this screen - look for the Embed button as shown below, and click to reveal the drop-down menu.
If you select "Record URL", you may copy and paste the URL into the insert/edit media option in the Rich Text editor (described in detail in this FAQ.)
Otherwise, select either "Embed small," "Embed medium," or Embed large."
7. After selecting "Embed small", this is how the video will appear in the Rich Content Editor.
If you instead clicked on the "Preview" option in the video list....
...look for the embed option and you will see the same options to either "Record URL" or embed small, medium, or large versions.
Regardless of which method you choose, once your video is embedded, make sure to "Save and publish" or "Save."
If you have any problems or questions, please ask a librarian!
Contact the Library
Library main: (810) 989-5640
Toll free: (800) 553-2427 x5640
Fax: (810) 989-5773
SMS: (810) 515-7343
Are you a night owl? Reference assistance is available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Click the link above to begin a chat session.